User Rating: / 5

Board and care homes are licensed by the state to provide room and boards, 24- supervision of residents and dispensation of medications. For placement information or call the Residential care office at (714) 796-0200.


Independent living opportunities are provided through a cooperative effort among the private sector, the Orange County Mental Health Association, the Orange County Department of Mental Health. Placement consideration is determined by County of Orange Behavioral Health Care. Please contact the respective County liaison/care coordinator.


H.O.M.E.S., Inc.
4381 Birch Street, Ste. 213, Newport Beach
(949) 851-2766

Mental Health Association Housing Program
822 Town & Country Road, Orange
(714) 668-1530

Shelter Plus Care
A project of the county Health Care Agency.
Referred by case manager.

View Shelter / Housing list at HomeAid website
(Housing and Shelter construction donations and volunteer opportunities)


Costa Mesa Village
2450 Newport Blvd.
Costa Mesa
 Park Place Village
1662 Newport Blvd.
Costa Mesa
Irvine Inn
2810 Warner
Shelter for the Homeless
15161 Jackson St.
Midway City


The Section 8 “Certificate” and “Housing Voucher” programs provide rental assistance for low-income persons in need of decent, safe and sanitary housing. You may qualify for rental assistance if you are 62 years or older, handicapped, disabled (for at least one year), or have limited income. If you believe you qualify, call and information will be taken concerning your household. Your name will be added to a pre-application waiting list. Interested persons must submit an application to one or all of the Housing Authorities. Those unable to apply personally may name another individual to apply on their behalf. OCHA gives preference to applicants residing or working in all cities in Orange County except in Anaheim, Garden Grove and Santa Ana, but applications should be filed in all offices, as the certificates can be used anywhere in the State of California. Residents of Anaheim, Garden Grove and Santa Ana should apply in their respective Housing Authority office.

Housing Authority (OCHA)
1770 North Broadway
Santa Ana

(714) 480-2700
  Anaheim Housing Authority
priority given to
Anaheim residents

201 S. Anaheim Blvd., Suite 202

(714) 765-4320 x4372
Garden Grove Housing Authority
priority given to
Garden Grove residents
11277 Garden Grove Blvd.
Suite 101C
Garden Grove
(714) 741-5150

Santa Ana Housing Authority
20 Civic Center Plaza
Santa Ana
(714) 667-2200
Renter’s Assistance (800) 868-4171 - A program of the State Franchise Board. If you pay more than $50 per month for rent and receive less than $37,119 per year total household income, you are eligible.


When considering a living situation, there should be a written admission or rental agreement. Go over the entire agreement and understand what it provides. The time to ask questions is before moving into the room. Some important questions are:

  • How much is the rent and when is it due?
  • Are there any late charges if the rent isn’t on time?
  • Will the operator make allowances for the late SSDI or SSI checks?
  • How much notice is required before a tenant moves out?
  • What is the policy for refunds when a tenant moves out?
  • What are the house rules regarding visitors, smoking & phones?
  • What are the reasons that a resident can be evicted?
  • What supplies, if any, are provided?
  • How many meals are provided?
  • Are there kitchen privileges?
  • Are linens provided?
  • Is there a laundry area?
  • What amount of storage space is available?

There are several ways to find a good boarding house. Ask others who are familiar with boarding houses. If possible, speak to the manager, residents and the family of current residents of the house in which you are interested. Care Coordinators are also a good resource. Boarding houses only need a city permit to operate, so a background check is important. You will have the same legal protection as any other renter. The Legal Aid Society of Orange County may be able to help low-income residents.

Note: Often, mentally ill loved ones are most comfortable in the family home. Many have found it helpful to establish a “contract of understanding” among family members.